Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A note on goldfish

I've been racking my brain for the last few weeks trying to think of a suitable way to keep goldfish, inspired by the traditional small bowl. I searched out larger style bowls and the largest I could find, the 16 gallon BiOrb system, was still rather small for a 6-8 inch fish (larger for comets and commons), since the width was about that of a 10 gallon tank. Then I did a little more research into goldfish behavior and discovered that they are rather social fish, and would need ideally to be kept with other goldfish, making the absolute smallest size tank for 2 goldfish a 30 gallon.

Since goldfish really do need a large tank (way larger than any fishbowl I've ever seen even on the Internets!) and are very messy fish needing heavy filtration, I have to now admit my defeat. At the risk of sounding preachy, I just have to say it. Goldfish CANNOT be kept in bowls (unless you want to get an enormous drum-style tank special made and maybe not even then) and should most ideally be kept in large ponds. I hate to say it, but it's just the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment