Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cordless coldwater flagfish bowl

I'm currently in the planning stages for a spherical bowl with no cords. I have chosen the American Flagfish for its small size, and hardiness, but most importantly because it is the only fish I have discovered as of yet that is both coldwater and stillwater dwelling. The great majority of fish are either tropical and therefore need a heater (cord!) or are coldwater but need the current provided by a filter system (cord!). But alas, the American Flagfish needs neither of these things to thrive, as they come from slow-moving to stagnant bodies of water in North America.

My plan revolves around stocking very lightly, most likely only 3 specimens in an 8 gallon bowl, and using only dense plant growth for primary filtration. My two biggest challenges will lie in finding plants which thrive in coldwater, and those which the fish (a notorious plant eater) won't touch. I'm starting with anacharis and going from there.

This will most likely be a fairly expensive project for its size because the bowl itself (the only one of significant size I've been able to find) will cost around $60 and because I will most likely need to purchase the fish themselves online. Depending on the availability of these things in your area, I'm confident this could be made a much cheaper project. If you find supplies cheaper, be sure to comment and fill us in.

No comments:

Post a Comment